1. In a sauce pan heat the milk over low/medium heat until warm. Do not bring the milk to a boil. Turn the heat off.
2. In a separate bowl whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture changes color to a pale yellow and doubles in size. Add in small amounts while whisking the milk into the egg yolk sugar mixture. Once some of the warm milk has been incorporated. Then add the egg yolk, sugar, milk mixture back into the sauce pan and on the stove top over low/medium heat to cook the egg yolks. Using a wooden spoon mix this for a few minutes.
3. In a bowl microwave proof melt the chocolate chips. Do this in 30 second intervals as to not burn the chocolate. Once melted add this, the vanilla extract, and the cocoa powder into the sauce pan and mix well. Keep stirring gently best with a spatula until the liquid is one consistent mixture.
4. Pour this into the pre-cooled ice cream maker and set the setting to gelato or semi-firm. Once the gelato has almost set add in the chocolate chunks and continue until the gelato has churned.
4. Place the gelato into a loaf pan or dish of your preference and place in the freezer for it to set for a few hours, but best over night.
Serve and enjoy!