1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease an 8x8 baking pan. Set this to the side.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter together over a double boiler. Once the chocolate and butter are melted set this aside to cool slightly.
3. In a stand mixer add the brown and cane sugar. Once the melted chocolate has cooled slightly add that mixture into the stand mixer. Mix on low for 2 minutes. Then add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until combined, about 30 seconds.
4. In separate bowl add the whole wheat flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. With the stand mixer on slowly stream in the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until a gooey batter is formed. If adding chocolate chips, fold them into the batter. Pour the brownies batter into the greased 8x8 baking pan and bake for 21-25 minutes, until the center is fully cooked.
5. Remove the brownies from the oven and allow them to completely cool before serving.