To make the Picadillo
1. Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Once hot add half the yellow onion with a few pinches of salt. Let this cook for 2 minutes then add the green bell pepper and garlic. Let the sofrito cook for another 2 minutes.
2. Season the organic grass feed beef with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and break the ground beed apart. Let this cook until it is almost all browned. Add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, green olives, raisins, salt and pepper, and the bay leaf. Bring this to a simmer, cover the pot, and turn the heat down to low. Let this cook for 15-20 minutes while you prepare everything else.
To prepare the Saffron Rice
1. In a sauce pan over medium heat add the butter, once the butter has melted add the 1/2 of the yellow diced onion and season with salt to let them sweat. Then add the saffron threads and mix until it becomes fragrant. Add the rice and mix everything together. Add the water season again with salt and bring this to a boil. Once at a boil lower heat to low, cover the pan, and let the rice cook for 18 minutes.
2. Once the rice has cooked fork the rice to fluff.
To prepare the Plantains
1. Preheat the oven to roast 375 degrees. Line a small baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Peel and slice the plantain, not to thin. Add the plantains in a bowl and mix it together with 1 Tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper. Place the plantains on the lined baking tray and roast at 375 for 15 minutes. Then turn the heat up to 425 degrees and roast for another 5 minutes until golden.
3. Remove the plantains from the oven and allow them to cool slightly.
To assemble the Healthy Cuban PIcadillo Bowls
1. First fill the bowls with the saffron rice.
2. Top with 1/4 cup picadillo, a few slices of avocado, 1/4 cup black beans, plantains and if you would like a fried egg.