As we get back into the swing of the things for 2021 making healthy weeknight meals a priority is essential to your healthy lifestyle. Stuffed peppers are a delicious and balanced recipe. It is so simple to prepare. You can change the flavor weekly. Bonus, they make for great leftovers for meal prep later in the week. One tip I always give clients is, if you are going to take the time to cook you might as well make extra for another meal later in the week.
Beef Stuffed Peppers are great way to sneak in different vegetables. This recipe has spinach and sweet potatoes. Making it a balanced meal all in one. So for you that means it is an easy recipe to make and clean up.
Nutrition works in a holistic synergistic way. You need all the nutrients (macros, vitamins, and minerals) for your body to function properly. Leaving out 1 or 2 nutrients can really harm your body. Nutrients also like to work in teams within your body. Specifically iron and Vitamin C. One of the reasons why I love this recipe is because these 2 nutrients, iron and Vitamin C are so rich from the beef and the bell peppers that when you eat them in this recipe they are a team.
In the presence of Vitamin C, iron is better absorbed in the body. Which means your red blood cells are better oxygenated and can have a better bioavailability of iron. Better absorption of iron also means better recovery for your muscles from a hard workout or run because your iron is rich which means your oxygen within your blood is rich as well. Which inturn helps your body recover better and faster.
The added fiber of the bell pepper and the spinach help keep you fuller longer and also increase your leafy greens. Which can be hard to get in your leafy greens. Adding spinach into this recipe is just a simple way to do that.
Weeknight Beef and Spinach Stuffed Peppers
- 4 Bell Peppers any color
- 1 lb Ground beef 80/20
- 1 can (14 oz) Diced Tomatoes no sodium added – drained
- 1/2 Yellow Onion small dice
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 10 oz bag Baby Spinach
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 TBLS Olive oil
- Optional to add diced roasted sweet potato
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or use a baking dish. Set aside.
- Clean and cut in half the bell peppers. Remove the ribs, core, and seeds. Place cut side up on your baking dish.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium, medium/high heat. Once hot add the onions and saute with a pinch or 2 of salt. Let this cook for 2-3 and stir occasionally.
- Season the ground beef with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder and the dried basil. Add the seasoned ground beef to the skillet with the garlic as well. Stir and break apart the ground beef. Let this cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in canned diced tomatoes and season again with salt and pepper. Add in the spinach and stir everything together. Bring this to a simmer and let the meat completely cook and the spinach wilt.
- Once the beef has completely cooked turn the heat off and carefully spoon even amounts of the ground beef into the bell peppers.
- Bake the bell peppers for 10-12 minutes in the oven. Remove and enjoy!