I know you are like me when it comes to a deep rooted obsession with Poke bowls and sushi. This craze of sushi and poke bowls is amazing and I am jumping on it. There is a good nutritional reason as to why it is such a great 1 bowl meal.
Nutrition of Tuna
When it comes to easy meals a 1 bowl kind of meal is excellent. Here is why…
Everything your body needs for a balanced meal is in that one bowl. You don’t have to overcomplicate your life with preparing so many different recipes and ingredients. A bowl contains everything you need. Lets break down the balanced meal…
Tuna is your protein and your healthy fat. When it comes to fatty fish, tuna is a great one. Of course if you are pregnant it is not recommended to consume tuna or higher mercury rich fish. So I recommend swapping out the tuna for chopped cooked chicken or shrimp. Tuna is considered a healthy fat because it contains a good healthy dose of Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are healthy fats that aid in reducing inflammation and promote a healthy brain due to the fatty acid chains made up within in the food item. Also eating a protein with these healthy fats helps to reduce any spike or high rise in blood sugar. Another added bonus is that fat helps to keep you satisfied longer, which means you tend to snack less and eat less throughout the day. Don’t be afraid to add healthy fats to your meal, there are loads of health benefits to them.
Nutrition of White Rice
White short grain rice, is a simple carbohydrate. Yes it is okay to eat white rice and simple carbohydrates. Here is why…
When you pair white rice with ingredients like tuna (high in protein and healthy fats) and avocado (healthy fat) you reduce the potential of a blood sugar spike, that would occur if only eating white rice or white rice with a lean protein. Pairing these ingredients is key to provide your body with the right balance of nutrients. White rice is more easily absorbed into your body and blood stream.
I recommend eating this meal if you have a busy day. If you are a regular exerciser or had a hard workout. The white rice will give you a boost of energy because the bioavailability of the glucose. It will also help your muscles recover faster. White rice is also easily absorbed. If you suffer from IBS, gut health issues, or bloating white rice will be easier for your digestive system to break down.
Every poke bowl has vegetables! I love this about the meal because it usually comes with greens, cucumbers, or avocados. So that means no additional cooking. Another reason why I love this meal, because it is simple.
Vegetables contain the fiber you need to aid in keeping you fuller longer, reduce the blood sugar levels from the meal, and boost your vitamin and minerals. Every time you eat, you are eating to enhance your health. Vegetables are one of the easiest ways to do this. Including different vegetables to your meal ensures that your continuously adding in vitamins and minerals into your body. Daily certain vitamins and minerals are being used for specific work within your body. Adding in extra veggies where you can increases your nutrient levels for a healthier body.
Tuna Poke Bowl
- 1 lb Sushi Grade Tuna or Freshly Caught Tuna cut into 3/4 in cubes
- 1/4 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce, GF Tamari, or Shoyu
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 3/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes you can eliminate if you don't like spice
- 1/3 cup Scallions (green onions) thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 cups Short Grain Sushi Rice
- 1 Avocado sliced
- 1 English Cucumber thinly sliced
- Wash the rice under cold running water for a minute or 2. Then prepare the rice according to the package.
- In a medium size bowl add the ahi tuna, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, green onions, and red pepper flakes. Mix and combine this all together.
- Serve the fish immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours. Toss to combine before serving.
- Once your rice is cooked, scoop even amount of rice into 4 bowls and top with the tuna mixture. Add the sliced cucumber and avocado, and garnish with some extra sesame seeds. Enjoy!