Not too sweet just the right kind of crunchy texture and absolutely amazing. Biscottis are one of my absolute favorite recipes to bake. In the cookie jar every week biscottis are replenished. We are never without these decadent Italian delights, and once you try this No Fail Italian Almond Biscotti recipe you will also have your cookie jar shocked with them.
Biscottis are a crunchy Italian cookie that are very low in sugar and used to dip into a coffee, tea, or a sweet dessert wine. They are magical!!! If you haven't caught on already they are one of my favorites haha! To make the recipe it may seem like a lot of techniques and time, but in actuality it isn't at all. Once you shape the log all the hard work is done. They do take some time and that is to dry them out. You want to make sure that all their moisture is removed because when you have dried the biscottis out they will last up to a month in your cookie jar or an airtight container.
You can add any nut or spice to the biscotti to change the recipe up to your liking, but the classic Italian recipe is with almonds. Also you want to make sure you serve them completely cooled. This helps the cookie become more crunchy and stay that way. This also goes for packaging the cookies. Wait to store them in the cookie jar or airtight container until they are 100% cooled. If not moisture will build up and the biscottis will become soggie.
Biscottis are a great treat to have in the afternoon for a little pick me up, a nice cookie dessert to share with your kids, and also lovely to have on hand if you are having guests over. If you are hosting an afternoon coffee or tea with a friend and neighbor placing a tray of biscottis are a wonderful snack to include. I promise this recipe will become your house hold favorite!
Yields 12 servings
Time 1 hour
6 tablespoons unsalted butter – room temperature
100 grams cane sugar
2 large eggs
280 grams all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon almond extract
1/3 cup almonds – roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment add the butter and sugar. Mix on medium until well combined.
3. Add the eggs and almond extract and mix until the egg yolks break.
4. In a large bowl add the flour and sea salt. With the mixer on low begin to add the flour and salt into the stand mixer. Once a dough is created you can stop mixing.
5. Using a food processor add the almonds. Pulse a few times to break up the almonds. Fold the almonds into the cookie dough to evenly distribute them.
6. Dump the cookie dough on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper and form a log. Use a bench scraper to help shape the log.
7. Bake for 25-27 minutes. Then remove the baking tray from the oven and let the log cool for about 10 minutes.
8. Lower the oven to 325 degrees.
9. Once the log has cooled for about 10 minutes carefully place it on a cutting board. Using a serrated knife cut a small piece of the end off. Then at an angle cut about ½ inch thick biscottis. Place them on the cutting board with one side facing up. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
10. Then carefully remove the baking tray flip the biscottis to the other side. Bake for another 8-12 minutes.
11. Allow them to cool on a cookie rack and serve.