This is literally one of the best and most versatile recipes with all the Mexican delicious flavors one loves. Everything from ground turkey, corn, black beans, salsa, cilantro, and jalapenos.
In the spirit of Cinco de Mayo and easy weeknight dinners this one is one to make. To make this meal with the true flavors of Mexican cuisine you need to use 2 great spices, cumin and chili powder. These two spices give this dish and so many Mexican recipes their unique flavors. Cumin is used in many different cultural recipes and it gives it its earthy flavors. Chili powder is a mix of different dried and ground non-spicy chilis. If you want a kick then I recommend using fresh chilis and fresh jalapenos. That will definitely give you the kick you are looking for. Otherwise leave those out.
You can stuff this casserole into peppers, make just the casserole, have a side of white rice with it, or serve it in a quesadilla with of course more shredded cheese. Any which way you serve it I promise it is delicious!
Mexican Turkey and Corn Casserole
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 2 TBLS Ground Cumin
- 2 TBLS Ground Chili Powder
- 1 small Yellow Onion minced
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 cup Whole Foods Mild Salsa
- 1 cup No Sodium Canned Corn rinsed and drained
- 1 cup No Sodium Canned Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Cilantro for garnish
- Pickled Jalapenos for garnish or spice
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1 TBLS Olive oil or oil
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 2. In a large saute pan heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot add the garlic and onions with a pinch of salt. Let this cook for about 2 minutes stirring once or twice. Add the 1 TBLS of cumin and 1 TBLS of chili powder and stir. 3. Season the ground turkey with 1 TBLS of cumin, 1 TBLS of chili powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and few pinches of black pepper. Add this to the pan and break up the ground turkey. Let this cook stirring occasionally until the turkey is cooked. 4. In a heat proof casserole pan add a layer of salsa. Top with the cooked ground turkey mixture. Now add the black beans and corn and gently mix. Finish with more salsa and topping it with a layer of cheese. Pop the casserole into the oven and let this bake for 12-15 minutes until it is all warm and the cheese has melted. Serve hot and garnish with fresh lime juice and cilantro. Enjoy!