Love, love, love this weeknight chicken recipe! Nothing says a healthy meal quite like this one. Honey Mustard Lemony Kale Chicken is a really easy healthy meal ready to serve in under 30 minutes. What don’t you love about that?
Honey Mustard Chicken is something that your entire family will just love. It is sweet (with natural honey), a little tang from the mustard, and some paprika for color and a hint of earthly flavor. Combining these ingredients together makes the sauce. It is really that easy. By the way this honey mustard sauce can be used for dipping as well. So if you like to cook a naked chicken without sauce, you can definitely do that and just whip together the honey mustard sauce to dip your chicken into.
Let’s Talk Kale
I get it, a lot of people are not fans of kale. It has recently in the past 5 years become a major “superfood” in the health industry. It definitely has a place in the health world as a healthy food item. But let’s clear the air, you don’t have to put kale on everything.
Kale is a great veg to have once to twice a week. It is in the family of cruciferous vegetables. These vegetables are: broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, red and green cabbage, and kale. These are the stinky vegetables. The ones that when you start cooking, you are like, “what is that smell?”. These family of vegetables are so so so so good for you. Those that have a thyroid condition should refrain from eating cruciferous vegetables due to the fact that these vegetables greatly reduce iodine from the thyroid. With that exception eating veggies from this group is wonderful to include a few times a week to your meals.
One of the best ways to cook kale is with citrus. It helps to break the vegetable down. Don’t worry you are still getting all the amazing fiber. It also tastes delicious that pairing of kale and citrus. Lemony kale is a perfect combo and so simple to prepare. Just like spinach, kale shrinks when cooked. It also allows your body to break it down much easier. By cooking down the fibrous rich kale, you are allowing your body to break it down and digest it much easier. This can greatly aid with reducing bloating, IBS symptoms, or digestive troubles.
Honey Mustard Lemony Kale Chicken
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 large bag Curly Kale chopped
- 1 Lemon zested and juiced
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1 TBLS Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
Honey Mustard Sauce
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 3 heaping TBLS Yellow Mustard
- 1 TBLS Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Paprika optional to add more
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease with olive oil or avocado oil a baking dish. Set to the side.
- In a small bowl, or liquid measuring cup, mix together the honey mustard ingredients.
- Place the chicken breast in the baking dish. Season both sides with salt, pepper, onion, and garlic powder. Pour half of the honey mustard over the top of the chicken breasts. Evenly spread a layer of the sauce over the chicken.
- Bake the chicken in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Meanwhile, using a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Once the oil is warm add half of the kale. Season with a pinch of salt. Stir occasionally. When the kale has reduced some what add the remaining kale. Add the lemon zest and half of the lemon juice. Stir and mix util the kale has wilted.
- Once the chicken has cooked, carefully remove the baking dish from the oven. Serve the chicken and kale immediately and enjoy!
Leave a Comment