These Guava Cream Cheese Morning Rolls are out of this world! Guava and cream cheese is an amazing pairing. The sweetness from the guava paste with the saltiness of the cream cheese is so delicious. I grew up on the Cuban dessert of soda crackers with guava paste and cream cheese. That was and still is one of my favorite desserts.
Living in Miami Florida guava is everywhere. I know it can be difficult to find in other places in the country. If you do have it your grocery store, or can find it give it a try. The consistency of guava paste is sticky and chewy. It is unique. It isn’t exactly like the fruit. The fruit is very sweet and juicy. Guava paste is a concentrated form of the fruit, but not too too too sweet.
Cinnamon rolls are of course such a treat when you make them. I am talking from scratch, not the store bought ones. Making bread takes patience because it takes time. So to make these Guava Cream Cheese Morning Rolls give yourself 2-3 hours. Trust me though the wait is 1 MILLION percent worth it. Taking the concept of cinnamon rolls and removing the key ingredient, cinnamon and swapping it for guava is what these morning rolls are all about.
Guava Cream Cheese Morning Rolls
- 2 1/4 tsp Active dry yeast or 1 packet
- 1 cup Warmed Milk whole milk at 100 degrees
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup Unsalted Butter melted and cooled
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 large Eggs
- 4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 packet Guava Paste cut and softened in microwave
- 3 TBLS Unsalted Butter Melted
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz Cream Cheese room temperature
- 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Milk
- 1. For the rolls, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. If the yeast is good, it will start to froth up. 2. Add sugar, butter, salt, eggs, and flour to the bowl of a mixer and mix well.3. Pour the milk/yeast mixture in the bowl and using the dough hook, mix well until well incorporated.4. Place dough into an oiled bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.5. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface, until it is approx 16 inches long by 12 inches wide. It should be approx 1/4 inch thick.6. Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.7. Melt the butter and mix with the brown sugar. Evenly spread this out on the rolled out dough. 8. Place the guava spread on top of the butter brown sugar mix. Spread it out evenly as much as possible. 9. Working carefully, from the long edge, roll the dough down to the bottom edge. The roll should be about 18 inches in length. Cut the roll into 1 1/2 inch slices. You might find it easier if you use a piece of floss vs a knife.10. Place the cut rolls in the prepared pan. Cover them with a damp towel. Let them rise again for another 30 minutes until they double in size.11. Place the proofed morning rolls into the oven and bake for 28-30 minutes. Then lower the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 5-8 minutes. 12. Meanwhile using the stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream together the cream cheese frosting. 13. Once the guava morning rolls have baked, remove them from the oven allow them to cool for 15 minutes then spread the cream cheese frosting over the morning rolls and serve.