Grilling season is almost upon us. Outdoor events, pool days, vacations, longer days, and all the delicious summer produce. I love summer! It is one of the more relaxed times of the year. You feel more at ease and enjoying the pleasures that summer has to offer, especially if you are from the north. Here in Miami it just gets brutally hot and humid with daily rainstorms. But, when we do have a gloriously beautiful summer day everyone is outside. For me that mean making a feast with BBQ recipes. There is something about getting people together for a BBQ, it is fun, casual, and so many varieties of foods. That is why a grilled summer corn tomato naan pizza is a wonderful recipe. Making the individual pizzas makes this a great get together summer recipe.
Summer vegetables are delicious!
and there there are all the sweet delicious fruit!
As you can see summer vegetables are a favorite and it is so much better to eat vegetables in season. The more you consume when they are in season the overall better nutrients you are eating.
Ever made a Naan Pizza???
Okay if this is your first time you have to make this. Naan is an Indian bread that is used to tear off a piece and eat the food with. In this recipe you are making the bread the base of the pizza versus making pizza dough. Using naan bread for a grilled pizza I find to hold up better and it also has a slightly different flavor and texture and when using sweeter and watery vegetables I recommend making naan bread. Also it is fun to change up a pizza from time to time. So if you are looking for a new pizza recipe or just want to try a new and delicious recipe give it a try, you will love it!
Grilled Summer Corn Tomato Naan Pizzaq
- 2 tsp Dry Active Yeast
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour + extra for kneading
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Olive oil
- 1/3 Cup Plain Yogurt
- 1 large Egg
Ingredients for Pizza
- 1 Cup Tomato Sauce or Marinara Sauce
- 2 Tomatoes sliced
- 2 Ears Corn Boiled and corn removed , or you can use organic canned corn
- 1 bunch Fresh Basil Finely Sliced
- 1 Cup Fresh Mozzarella
- Salt and Pepper
- 1. In a liquid measuring cup combine the yeast, sugar and water. Stir to dissolve then let sit for a few minutes for the yeast to proof. Once frothy whisk in a bowl with the oil, yogurt, and egg until evenly combined.
2. In a separate medium bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour with the salt. Next, pour the bowl of wet ingredients to the flour/salt mixture and stir until well combined. Continue adding flour, a half cup at a time, until you can no longer stir it with a spoon.3. At that point, turn the ball of dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the ball of dough for about 3 minutes, adding small amounts of flour as necessary to keep the dough from sticking. The dough is a bit sticky but you are looking for it be kneaded until smooth, about 3-5 minutes. Try not to over knead it. 4. Loosely cover the dough with a damn kitchen cloth and let it rise until double in size for an hour. After it rises, gently flatten the dough into a disc and cut it into 8 equal pieces or 4 (for larger pizzas). Shape each piece into a small ball.5. Heat a large, heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. Working with one ball at a time, roll it out until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Place the rolled out dough onto the hot skillet and cook until the bottom is golden brown and large bubbles have formed on the surface. Try to lightly cook the naan since it will be going back on the grill. You will only be cooking 1 half of the naan. 6. Once you have 1/2 cooked all the naan it is time to prepare the pizzas with the tomato sauce or marinara sauce. Season the with salt and pepper and any dried herbs. Then add the tomato, corn, and mozzarella. 7. Lightly grease the grill and carefully place the naan pizzas on the hot grill and let this cook all the way and the cheese melts. Remove the naan pizza from the grill and garnish with olive oil and fresh basil.