Hi there, thanks for stopping by to read this delicious recipe.
This recipe is a favorite weeknight meal to prepare and especially the left overs. The marinade for this chicken is sweet, rich, and bountiful with flavors. Isn't that what you want in a yummy wholesome meal?
Okay let's get to it. Rice bowls or one bowl meals have become really popular lately. I am so happy that they have because eating your meal in one bowl just feels so comforting and the varieties of one bowl recipes you can make are endless. Since we are weeks away here in Miami of mango season I wanted to jump on a simple recipe to share with you. Mangos are so versatile and can be used in savory and sweet recipes. This savory recipe showcases the mango by using it in the marinade to add loads of flavor to a boring and dry boneless skinless chicken breast. C'mon we can all be honest that chicken breast gets boring. By marinating it with strong sweet flavors of fruit we can change the boring grilled or baked chicken breast to a juicy Hawaiian inspired one bowl meal.
You can prepare this rice and chicken bowl with coconut rice as written in the recipe or plain jasmine rice. I highly recommend making the coconut rice. It is a classic sticky rice with a hint of coconut flavor. I want to share with you all simple recipes that are jam packed with flavors and rich with nutrients. That is exactly what this chicken and rice bowl is all about. Try changing up your weeknight meals with flavors that are unique and powerful that will leave you satisfied with a wholesome home cooked meal.
Yields 4 servings
Time 3-4 hours (including the marinade)
(for the marinade)
4 chicken boneless skinless
2/3 cup pineapple juice
2 limes - juiced
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup mango juice or diced mangos
1/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
(for the coconut rice)
1 cup jasmine rice - rinsed
2/3 cup full fat coconut milk
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon sea salt
(for the Hawaiian vegetable and fruit mix)
2 zucchini - sliced
1 yellow onion - sliced
1 red bell pepper - sliced
1/2 cup pineapple - grilled
1/2 cup mango - diced
2 TBLS olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1. Place in a bag the chicken breast with the ingredients (mango, pineapple juice, garlic clove, lime juice, and chicken stock). Place the bag in a pyrex and place in the fridge for this to marinate for 2-3 hours.
2. To prepare the rice. Rinse the jasmine rice over cold water until the water runs clear. This should take about 5 minutes. Once rinsed place this in a medium sauce pan. Add the coconut milk, water, and sea salt. Turn the heat on high. Once the liquid is boiling, cover the pan and turn the heat on low. Let the rice cook for 18 minutes. Once it is cooked fluff with a fork slightly, but it will be on the sticky rice side. This can be done while you prepare the chicken after it has marinaded.
3. To cook to chicken line a baking tray with parchment paper. Place the marinaded chicken breasts on the lined baking tray. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake the chicken for 22-26 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked and has reached a temperature of 165 degrees.
4. To cook the onions, red bell peppers, and zucchini heat a small skillet with oil. Once hot over medium heat add the vegetables with a few pinches of salt. Let the vegetables cook until they become tender.
5. To serve the meal add coconut rice in a bowl. Top with diced marinaded chicken, pineapple pieces, mango chunks, some vegetables, and a garnish of cilantro.