Back from a quick vacation in New York and right into the kitchen and weekday routines. One thing I love about taking a weekend get away is how refreshed you feel after, even if it is just 2 days away from home. But any chance there is to change your scenery and get a taste of another city and your own routines is good for the soul. Especially when you get away to New York and basically end up having a food trip (which is really no different than any other trip). That is one thing I am beyond envious of New York, the consistency of the food. It comes from good, to better, to awesome!
All the great restaurants and bars with unique dishes on their menu, showcasing beautifully simple ingredients in ways that you wouldn't expect. This is what eating is about, new foods, new flavors, and new ways to prepare dishes.
This recipe of Paprika and Chili Salmon Bowls is a wholesome, delicious, and super simple meal to prepare. What I love about this salmon bowl is that you are creating this delicious rub with bold and unique flavors that alone stand beautifully in a dish, but placed all together make for a magically fragrant bite. You know one thing you always hear is that cheese and fish should never be paired together. If we always follow the rules then we wouldn't try new and innovated recipes and ingredients. The Parmesan Yogurt dip is like a take on a caesar dressing but without all the typical ingredients. If you close your eyes you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but all you know is that is amazing and paired together in the rice bowl with the peppery arugula, the earthy parsley, and the bold and meaty salmon is a perfect meal in one bowl that takes less than 30 minutes to prepare.
So get into the kitchen and this deliciously simple paprika and chili salmon bowl!
Yields 1 lb Salmon or 4 servings
Time 25 minutes
1- 1.5 lb salmon fillet skin on and bones removed
1.5 cups basmati rice (3 cups cooked)
For the Rub
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Parmesan Yogurt Sauce:
1 cup full fat plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
A pinch of salt and pepper
Lemons for garnish
Arugula and Flat Leaf Parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Place the salmon on the baking sheet with foil.
2. In a pot add the uncooked rice, with equal parts water, a few pinches of salt and a dab of butter. Bring this to a boil, cover the pot, lower the heat to low, and let this cook for 18 minutes. Once cooked fluff the rice with a fork and set aside.
3. In a bowl mix together all the ingredients for the rub. Mix with a fork and using your fingers rub the paprika chili mixture over top the salmon fillet. Cook the salmon in the oven for 15-17 minutes.
4. While the salmon and basmati rice are cooking prepare the parmesan yogurt sauce. In a bowl mix together the sauce ingredients. Mix it well and adjust the sea salt and pepper if necessary.
5. To assemble the bowl add the basmati rice, some arugula and flat leaf parsley, place a piece of the salmon and garnish with a fresh lemon slice, and a dollop of the parmesan yogurt sauce.