It is time to start making soups again. I love the fall season. The weather changes, well not in Florida it just becomes more humid and a lot more rain unfortunately, the produce changes, and the holidays are upon us. I just adore it! Soups are one of my favorite recipes to make. I know it's time to make soup when I need to clean out the fridge of vegetables. Blending together different vegetables with a bone broth and some spices is one of the best comfort meals. I especially like when the soups are thick and pureed. The creamy texture with the warmth of the temperature just fills your belly with definitely nourishment, but also with just pure goodness.
I love that feeling of satisfaction from food, good food! It's like the food feeds more than your nutritional needs, but also your soul and comforts you. That feeling when a meal hits the spot and you grin with joy from the deliciousness of the meal but also from the satisfaction you received from it. Well basically that is how I feel about soups. It's this comforting sensation like a big hug!
My favorite change is the change of menu from the summer produce and light dishes to the more hearty and warming dishes. This soup recipe is a great one to start to get into the fall feeling. I day dream about the leaves changing color and the change in weather. The roasted carrots and spices used is not only very nutritious and boosts the immune system, which is very important when the weather begins to chill. Plus it is also a great way to eat your vegetables, especially if you have a few picky eaters in your house. Pureed soups are wonderful for almost any vegetables. Like I said soups usually mean cleaning the fridge out and using up all the left over vegetables from the week. Great ready for a lot more soup and fall vegetable recipes to come your way.
Yields 3-4 servings
Time 45-60 minutes
6-8 carrots - roasted
1 cup tomato puree
1 cup stock
1 cup water
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon almond butter
Garnishes: Sour cream, Greek yogurt, Cilantro, Cashews
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Roast the carrots for 30-35 minutes.
2. Once carrots are roasted remove and carefully cut into small pieces.
3. Heat a large sauce pan with olive oil. Add the roasted carrots, and saute for 3-5 minutes. Season them with salt and pepper.
4. Add the tomato puree, stock, and water. Then add all the spices and let this come to a light boil. Cook for 12-15 minutes. Stir a few times. Taste an adjust the seasoning if necessary.
5. Turn the heat off and with a hand blender puree the soup until smooth. If you do not have a hand blender you can use a food processor or blender. Be very careful because hot items can be a disaster when put into a blender. Add slowly and use a kitchen towel to cover the top of the food processor or blender. Once pureed, return to the pot and on low cook for another 15-20 minutes for all the flavors to combine well.
6. Once cooked serve hot and garnish as desired.