So I am jumping on the band wagon of Taco Tuesdays. This recipe is rich in flavors, and not exactly a traditional recipe for tacos, but still decadent. It is a hearty dish and with very earthy flavors. I love the addition of sweet potato to give you a pop of color, a soft texture, and a bit of sweetness to the dish. Adding different colors and textures to a dish makes the meal more interesting in my opinion. Scroll down to see the recipe and I hope you enjoy making this delicious dish!
Yields 4 servings
Time: 40-45 minutes
1 lb 94% lean ground turkey
1/2 of each small red + green bell pepper- small dice
1 small yellow onion - small dice
1 garlic clove- minced
1/2 cup canned black beans - rinsed and drained
1 medium sweet potato- peeled and diced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoon cumin powder
1/4 cup of broth (optional if the dish is too dry)
Tortillas, Cilantro, Sour Cream, Jalapeno, Onions, Cheese...
1. In a large pan add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Once hot add the onions, a pinch of salt, half of the cumin and chili powder. Let this saute for 2 minutes.
2. Add the bell peppers, garlic, and more salt and pepper. Let the vegetables saute for 3-4 minutes.
3. Season the ground turkey well with salt and pepper. Turkey needs a lot of seasoning for the dish to have delicious and developed flavor. Add this to the pan and cook for 6-8 minutes, you don't want to cook the turkey completely yet. You may need to add another tablespoon or 2 of olive oil to not brown the pan too much.
4. Add the remaining spices, tomato paste, black beans, and sweet potato. If necessary add the broth to give some moisture to the dish. Lower the heat to low, and cover. Cook for 20 minutes. Once the turkey is cooked and sweet potatoes are tender leave the pot covered and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
5. Prepare tacos with tortillas, cheese, cilantro and sour cream!