Thanksgiving is fast approaching (super excited!) and the menu of the dinner is on my mind. Do you know what your menu will look like? It definitely has to include stuffing. This is a no brainer. Every Thanksgiving gathering needs to delicious stuffing. For years my family Thanksgiving menu stays pretty much the same, but what seems to change every year is the stuffing recipe. This year it will be this Chestnut Cornbread Sausage Stuffing. I am telling you this is so delicious. It isn't even Thanksgiving yet and I am making this (haha, maybe a little too early). In book it is never too early to make your Thanksgiving meal!
This is a bit different than your traditional stuffing, but you have all the Thanksgiving flavor still there from the sage, celery, and chestnuts. You can even prepare the dish the day before and pop it into the oven the day of Thanksgiving. If you are hosting or bringing a dish to the holiday feast this Chestnut Cornbread Sausage Stuffing is a must for a menu item. The time it takes to prepare the dish is like no time at all, and if you have ever made a Thanksgiving meal you know that it is labor intensive. So don't stress you have the stuffing covered and it is super duper simple. Make my Skillet Cornbread Recipe 1-2 days before making the stuffing and then use some of the skillet cornbread for this stuffing recipe. Chop up the rest of the ingredients, toss it all together, and then into the oven it goes. I recommend even serving this dish room temperature so you won't even have to worry about oven space if you have 1 or even 2 ovens (I wish I had like 3 ovens in my kitchen haha!). This is a no stress simple stuffing recipe that will keep you and your guests for Thanksgiving coming back from seconds!
Yields 6 servings
Time 30-45 minutes
2 cups day old Skillet Cornbread
1 bag or 3/4 cup of roasted chestnuts - chopped
4 stalks celery - diced
1/4 cup yellow onion - small dice
2 Tablespoons fresh Sage - minced
1/2 cup or more low sodium chicken stock
Salt + Pepper
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
3 spicy sausage links - Organic Mild Italian Sausage Bilinski
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a saute pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sausage and a pinch of salt. Let this cook for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile in a bowl combine the day old corn bread cutting it into cubes. Cut and add the celery, chestnuts, and salt. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
4. Once the sausage and onions have cooked let it cool for 5 minutes before adding to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Once cooled add to the bowl and toss gently together. Pour it evenly in a baking dish. Add chicken stock to your liking of moistness and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
5. Let the stuffing cool for 5-8 minutes before serving.
***Keeps for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge. To reheat the chestnut cornbread sausage stuffing add a little extra stock.***