So I know right now it is all about pumpkin, squash, and all the marvelous autumn goodies we get during this time of year. But I live in Miami and we get tropical fruit and vegetables pretty much year round. The influence of all the island and Latin cultures play a big role in the foods we have in our grocery stores and markets. This is recipe is very simple and a great way to use the foods we have in quantity and for the majority of the year in a different way. Plus it is so beautiful with all the bright colors!
1 Haas Avocado – Ripe and Sliced
1 Tomato – small dice
3 tablespoons Orange Bell Pepper- small dice
1/4 cup Sweet Plantain – boiled and sliced
¼ cup Nectarine – sliced and quartered
¼ cup basil pesto & 3 tablespoons Champagne Vinegar
Salt + Pepper to taste
1 cup fresh basil leaves
¼ cup plus more if necessary extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove
¼ cup pine nuts or walnuts
4 tablespoons to ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. To boil plantains, slice them about ½ inch thick. Add to a small pot of boiling lightly salted water. Let them boil for about 5 minutes, just until they are fork tender. Strain the water and pat the plantains dry. Let them cool while you prepare the salad.
2. Meanwhile, cut the avocado in half with a sharp knife. Be careful when removing the seed. Gently run your finger between the skin of the avocado and it’s “meat”. Place the avocado cut side down and make thin slices along the half. Repeat the other half. Gently place it on the serving dish and fan it open.
3. To prepare the remaining ingredients, cut them small and add them to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and gently mix.
4. Add them to the serving dish.
5. To prepare the pesto, add all the ingredients of the pesto in a food processor or blender.
6. Mix well until nice and smooth. You may need to add more olive oil depending on your desired preference of consistency.
7. Once the pesto is made add the suggested amount for the recipe in a small bowl. Add the champagne vinegar and mix well.
8. Dress the salad.
Serve and enjoy!