Growing up my comfort meal was Shake n Back chicken drumsticks or Pork chop with creamed vegetables. I wanted to make a better version of this meal that I have always loved. By the way vegetables were always on our plates growing. Kids will eat what you put in front of them. If you make a separate meal for kids they will think they are not supposed to like and eat vegetables. We have to change this! I remember during culinary school, I was cooking Chef Jacque Pepin, and he was telling us a story about his daughter and the message was there is no difference between what kids eat and what adults eat. So give your kids vegetables, they will eat it, they don't want to go to bed without dinner.
So back to how to make this Shake n Bake comfort meal better for you. Do you all remember, Shake n Bake??? It was a usual weekly meal in our house. Swapping the pre-made Shake N Bake which contains chemicals and high sodium, you can make your own version. Whole wheat Panko bread crumbs are a create alternative. They make for a crispy crust and you can add all your seasonings to adjust to your taste.
The swap for mashed sweet potato over creamed spinach or corn, which are not bad for you, but they do make the meal very caloric. Since it is still summer and we don't need to be eating such a heavy meal, swap for a lighter version of vegetables. Sweet potatoes are something I think everyone loves, they are sweet, creamy, and delicious with so many wonderful health benefits. A few simple swaps makes this comfort meal so much more nourishing and undoubtedly mouth watering.
Yields 4 servings
8 Organic Chicken Drumsticks – skin removed
1 cup Whole Wheat Panko Bread Crumbs- purchased at Whole Foods
2 teaspoons Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Dried Rosemary
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Black Pepper
3 medium/large sweet potatoes
1 ½ tablespoon Unsalted Butter – I used President
¼ cup 2% Organic Milk
2 tablespoons Organic Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Once it has reached that temperature bake the sweet potatoes until tender about 35-40 minutes.
2. Line a bake sheet with foil, if not use a baking dish.
3. Prepare the chicken drumsticks. Place the whole wheat panko bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powdered and dried rosemary. Add 2-3 drumsticks at a time to the bag. Shake it until the chicken is coated.
4. Place the coated chicken on the baking tray or dish.
5. Bake in the oven for 28-30 minutes. Make sure the chicken has reached 165 degrees so that it is completely cooked.
6. Once the sweet potatoes have baked, carefully cut and scoop out the potato ina bowl.
7. To the bowl add the salt, pepper, butter, milk and cinnamon. Mash and incorporate the ingredients. Once it is all mixed if you would like it slightly creamer, add the sour cream or yogurt and fold it in.
8. Serve and enjo