For no special reason sometimes you just want a slice of cake. Well today is that day! Cakes are a delicious delight with a spongey layer of cake and a pop of sweet creamy buttercream frosting. Really there is nothing that is this good. Okay maybe chocolate cake with a dark chocolate ganache because well I am obsessed with everything chocolate! Besides that cake is just one of those things that you smile while you eat it. Who doesn't want to eat something that makes them happy???
This vanilla buttermilk white cake is simple to prepare and great for any celebration or gathering. In my case, it is a just because I feel like baking sort of cake! Does that ever happen to you? A need to just get in the kitchen and bake? Well regardless of if that is a normal feeling for you or not this is a no-fail easy and beautiful cake to bake. So go grab your spatula, preheat your oven and get ready for a little something sweet to enjoy!
Yields 8-10 servings
Time 2-3 hours to bake and decorate
4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup vegetable oil
6 large eggs - room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 sticks unsalted butter - room temperate
2-4 Tablespoons heavy cream
1-2 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 3 8 inch round cake tins and set aside.
2. In a stand mixer cream together the sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and room temperature eggs. Let this mix together for about 1 minute.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. With the stand mixer on low begin to incorporate the dry ingredients alternating with the buttermilk. Once a cake batter is formed turn the stand mixer off.
4. Evenly pour the cake batter into the 3 lightly greased cake tins. Bake in the oven for 38-45 minutes until a wooden stick comes out clean from the center of the cake. Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes in the tin then carefully flip the cakes out onto a cooling rack for 1-2 hours.
5. To make the buttercream place the 3 ingredients in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment on and cream them together. You can change the consistency by adding more or less powdered sugar.
6. Decorate your cake and enjoy!