Even when it comes to the most American holiday my "Italian" side still comes out!!! (HAHA) I am not really Italian I just pretend to be, or feel that I am very closely connected to the Italian culture and cuisine. Who wouldn't be??? The food is amazing and well every city just gets prettier and prettier.
This recipe is a unique take on pumpkin pie. It's not a traditional evaporated milk recipe. Heck this pumpkin ricotta pie tart recipe doesn't even use eggs. It is very simple to prepare. If you are making dessert for the big day you can even prep the filling and the pie tarts the day before. The prep time for this recipe is about 10 minutes, which is nothing for a pie recipe. You don't even have to decorate the pie tarts if you don't want, but I think it adds something cute and pretty to these delights.
The use of ricotta in this dessert makes this pumpkin pie tart a bit more rich and creamy. You don't taste the cheese or feel the consistency. It actually makes it more smooth in my opinion. Ricotta is a wonderful ingredient to use in desserts. I know it may sound strange to use a cheese in dessert, but actually thats how the French end their meals with a cheese board. This tradition was adopted from the Russians. It was the course before puddings. Since pumpkin is like a pudding consistency it seems that we have combined the courses to get one dessert.
The rich creamy texture and all the warming aromatic spices in contrast to the buttery flakey pie crust it is literally one of the eyes rolling into the back of your head sort of moments (you know what I am talking about). It is pure bliss and enjoyment with one bite. Enjoy making these adorably personal sized pumpkin ricotta pie tarts! Makes for a great small party dessert.
Yields 3 tarts
Time 35-40 minutes
1 heaping cup pumpkin puree
2 heaping tablespoons whole milk ricotta
1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoons ground nutmeg
3 Tablespoons cane sugar
1 packet of Pie Dough (I use the Whole Foods Brand)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly flour a clean work surface. Roll out the pie dough and using 3-4 inch tarts place on the rolled out pie dough. Cut 1/2 inch more than the tart pans. Butter shrinks in the oven to you want to make sure you cut more than you need. Gently put these cut out circles of pie dough in the tarts. Press down to fill each part of the pan. Remove any excess on the top of the tart pan. Leave these to the side while you prepare the filling.
3. In a bowl mix all the filling ingredients. Using a spatula mix well the incorporate the ricotta, spices, and pumpkin puree. Divide equally into the 3 pie dough lines tart pans. Smooth the tops with the spatula.
4. If you would like to decorate the pie tarts, using small cookie cutters cut out the desired shapes. Gently put them on the pie tarts.
5. Place the pie tarts on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the crust is golden. Remove them from the oven and let them cool completely before serving.