Hello easy, no cook summer salad recipe! This cold mango edamame salad is a great summer go to recipe. The best part is that you don’t have to cook anything. Yes, that is right you don’t have to cook anything. Cold Mango Edamame Salad is a great beach recipe to take with you, meal prep lunch recipe, or a backyard BBQ side dish. Any way you want to serve this recipe you can prep it ahead of time and just serve straight from the fridge.
Edamame is a plant, and is one of the few plants that contains all 9 essential amino acids. You have to eat 9 amino acids to ensure that your body can make proteins. That is why these 9 are called essential. A few plants, including edamame (aka soybeans) contain all 9. Which means they can contain the same protein, just not the same amount in weight as for example a chicken breast.
Edamame contain protein and carbohydrates. It does not contain the macronutrient fat. So it is critical that your meal contains some form of fat to ensure a balance meal, or dish. This salad takes care of that nutritional recommendation with the dressing. Via the extra virgin olive oil.
I live in South Florida and that means once summer hits, it is mango season. And boy oh boy do we get mangos in this part of the country. The amount of trees all over the city that just bloom with what looks like hundreds of mangos is definitely a benefit of living in South Florida.
So what are the benefits of mangos? When you eat fruit in season you are getting the most nutrient dense vitamins and minerals. That is why I recommend eating fruit in the heart of their season. Mangos are an excellent source of Vitamin C. Of course summer isn’t exactly flu and cold season but Vitamin C has many other jobs besides protecting your immune system. Vitamin C helps to protect your skin fro UV damage and works with collagen to promote the natural production of collagen. That means with the hot sun beating down on your during the summer months, Vitamin C rich foods helps to promote a more youthful, stronger, and more protected skin. Plus always wear your sunscreen!
Cold Mango Edamame Salad
- 1 Mango ripe, peeled, diced
- 1 cup Edamame steamed, or frozen + defrosted
- 1 small Red Bell pepper small dice
- 1 /2 English Cucumber small dice
- 2 TBLS Scallions (only the green parts) minced
- 2 -3 TBLS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Lemon or Lime juiced (about 2 TBLS)
- Salt +pepper to taste
- 1. Steam either frozen shelled edamame or run them under warm water to defrost. If already steamed, add the edamame into a bowl and gently toss with a few pinches of salt. 2. Peel and dice a fresh ripe mango and add into the bowl with the edamame. Dice the cucumber, red bell pepper and scallions. Add these ingredients into the bowl. Gently toss together. 3. Drizzle the ingredients with olive oil,lemon or lime juice, and salt. Toss the salad together. 4. You can place the bowl in the fridge to chill for 20-30 minutes or serve. Enjoy!*keepsin an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge