Love love love this dinner recipe. It is packed with Italian flavors and my waistline is happy. This Bruschetta Mozzarella Baked Chicken of course can be served with pasta, but I find it better with a nice dark leafy green salad. This weeknight meal is quick, bold with flavors we love from the Italian cuisine, and wonderful to prepare for meal prep.
Typically we want a lighter meal for dinner. The reason being is that after we consume dinner we are not very active. Our digestive system is slowing down getting ready for sleep and recovery. When we eat a heavy meal for dinner rich in saturated fats and high in starchy simple complex carbohydrates we actually slow down our metabolism, and for dinner we definitely do not want to do that.
For dinner we want to eat something with good protein, fiber, and complex carbohydrates. This will speed up our metabolism. This will also improve the quality of your sleep. Which to main a healthy body we really need good sleep on a regular basis.
You get all the delicious flavors of a classic Italian recipe without the necessary simple carbohydrates. Of course there is nothing wrong with having them in small portions and from time to time. Another great reason this is a healthy and nourishing meal is that one serving of this recipe is less than 300 calories. Calories aren’t everything but it is helpful when you eat balanced, good wholesome nutrients, and it is lower in calories.
Bruschetta Mozzarella Baked Chicken
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 pint Grape Tomatoes quartered
- 2 TBLS Olive Oil
- 1 large Garlic Clove minced
- 1/4 cup Marinara Sauce I used Rao’s marinara sauce
- 1 bunch Fresh Basil chiffonaide
- 2 tsp Balsamic Vinagrette
- 4 slices Mozzarella Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to salt
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. 2. In an oven proof baking dish layer the bottom with marinara sauce. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the chicken breasts on the marinara layer of the baking dish. Top the chicken with 1 TBLS olive oil. Pop the dish into the oven and let it cook for 25-28 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked and has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. 3. While the chicken is cooking place in a small bowl the tomato halves with the garlic, remaining olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add half of the basil leaves and mix everything together. Let this sit at room temperature while the chicken cooks. 4. Once the chicken has cooked place the mozzarella cheese on top of each chicken breast and place the baking dish back in the oven until the cheese has melted. When the cheese has melted remove the chicken from the oven. 5. Serve each chicken breast on a plate top with a tablespoon of the tomatoes with a garnish of basil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.