Appetizers can lack vegetables and nutrients. This recipe is not one of those recipes. This better for you spinach artichoke dip is not only an easy one to prepare but it is also good for you.
Appetizers can be a tricky. Questions such as: How much should you eat? How many can you serve? Can you go back for more?….
When it comes to appetizers here are few helpful tips…
Appetizer Serving Tips
Serve yourself on a plate. When it comes to appetizers, grazing is what usually happens. When there are many different appetizers at a get together or party grazing is a common occurrence. You are talking, have a drink in hand, and munching. Which leads to typically over eating the appetizers. So my number 1 tip is to serve yourself on a plate. Serve what you want and enjoy that serving on your appetizer plate.
Appetizers are not the main meal. These are snacks to hold you over before you consume your main more balanced meal. So you don’t have to eat them all. Serve the ones that you actually want.
How to Make Your Appetizer Better
A few tips to make your appetizers better for you, add in vegetables, and real ingredients. Like this Spinach and artichoke dip, by adding in yogurt and cottage cheese this recipe is enhanced with quality proteins. Not all appetizers have to have protein, but with the addition of protein this appetizer is digested better and reduced the saturated fat content that is usually rich in dips.
Load up and add in more vegetables. Not only do vegetables look beautiful on an appetizer table, but as you know if you have been here for a while is one of the critical foundations for a healthy diet and lifestyle. Vegetables contain micronutrients that allow for your body to maintain its healthy state as well as increase fiber content in your diet. Fiber is critical to enhance satiation, which will reduce less appetizer grazing, as well as improve your health.
Better For You Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt plain 2-5% fat
- 1 cup Cottage Cheese plain
- 8 oz Frozen Spinach (thawed and drained) or 2 10oz bags of fresh spinach cooked and well drained
- 6 oz Canned Artichokes in water halved and drained
- 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 2. If preparing the spinach fresh, saute the spinach in a large skillet pan. Let this cook down and wilt. Once wilted and cooked, let it cool.Once the spinach is cooled drain all the water out of the spinach. Now it is ready to use. 3. If using frozen spinach, defrost the spinach. Then using a kitchen towel, drain all the liquid out of spinach. Please note that frozen spinach tends to have more water than freshly cooked spinach. Once drained it is ready to use. 4. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the greek yogurt and cottage cheese until blended. 5. Add in the spinach and artichokes into the yogurt mixture. Add in the onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix together. 6. Add in the shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese. 7. Add this mixture into an 8×8 baking dish. Pop the dish into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. 8. Then switch to a broil and broil the dip for 5 minutes or just until golden. Remove and enjoy!