So I decided to overcome my fear and create a recipe that is simple and anyone can make! Homemade cinnamon rolls will become your new favorite weekend breakfast or brunch treat. These are the best homemade cinnamon rolls you will bake.
This has reduced the rise and proofing time, which means you will get to eat them sooner! I know the pre-packaged ones are brilliantly convenient, but let’s be honest there are a lot of mystery ingredients in them. Forget those and take the time to enjoy the process of making homemade cinnamon rolls from scratch. Trust me when I say you can make them. This recipe is also a lot of fun to make with your family, friends, or with your kids. With the fall and winter holidays approaching these will warm up a cozy cool brisk morning. The scents from the kitchen of the cinnamon rolls baking in the oven will undoubtedly put smiles on everyones faces.
Not only are the cinnamon rolls delicious warm out of the oven, but the cream cheese frosting is what makes the sweet breakfast recipe perfect. It is literally the icing on the cake, or in this case the icing on the cinnamon roll. I am still the one who adds a bit extra cream cheese icing on my cinnamon roll haha.
Best Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 1/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast ( 1 package or 1/4 oz or 7g)
- 1 cup Warm Milk 250ml
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar 100 grams
- 1/3 cup Softened Butter 75 g
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 4 cups All purpose flour 500 g
- 1 cup Brown Sugar 200 g
- 3 tsp Cinnamon 45 ml
- 1/3 cup Softened Butter 75 g
Cream Cheese Icing
- 6 TBLS Unsalted Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cream Cheese
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- A pinch of salt
- 1. For the rolls, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. If the yeast is good, it will start to froth up. 2. Add sugar, butter, salt, eggs, and flour to the bowl of a mixer and mix well.3. Pour the milk/yeast mixture in the bowl and using the dough hook, mix well until well incorporated.4. Place dough into an oiled bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.5. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface, until it is approx 16 inches long by 12 inches wide. It should be approx 1/4 inch thick.6. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.7. To make filling, combine the butter or margarine, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.8. Spread the mixture evenly over the surface of the dough. Alternatively you can spread the butter first on the dough and then the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture.9. Working carefully, from the long edge, roll the dough down to the bottom edge. The roll should be about 18 inches in length. Cut the roll into 1 1/2 inch slices. You might find it easier if you use a piece of floss vs a knife.10. Place the cut rolls in the prepared pan. Cover them with a damp towel. Let them rise again for another 30 minutes until they double in size.11. Bake for 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cooking time can vary greatly!12. While the rolls are baking make the icing by mixing all ingredients and beat well with an electric mixer until fluffy.13. When the rolls are done, spread generously with icing.Enjoy!