40 minute beef bourguignon is a French classic stew. Well the French don’t make it in 40 minutes, but there is not need for you to spend more time in the kitchen cooking. This recipe which can take 2-3 hours “stewing” now only takes 40 minutes. That is it, just 40 minutes for a delicious stew.
Beef bourguignon is a classic beef stew using red wine, beef, carrots, mushrooms, onions, and celery. Really that is it. Not too many ingredients to make something so rich and well flavored. If you have never had beef bourguignon you must try it. It is a comforting meal that is feels very elegant. Usually you don’t associate a stew to be elegant, but this 40 minute beef bourguignon really is.
There are a few ways to serve beef bourguignon. It is always served with potatoes, and usually with creamy rich mashed potatoes. But instead of making more of a mess in the kitchen I like to serve beef bourguignon with rosemary roasted creamy yukon gold potatoes. The crispy crust of roasted potatoes pairs beautifully with the soft and richly flavored sauce of beef. Plus as I just mentioned there is much less of a cleanup and dishes to do when you roast potatoes versus mashing them.
This elegant and classic recipe I wanted to make it easy for you to get into the kitchen and prepare a beautiful meal with less of a mess. The easier a meal the better!
40 Minute Beef Bourguignon
- 3 large Carrots Peeled and cubed
- 2 Celery cubed
- 1 small Yellow Onion Minced
- 1.25 lb Cubed Beef/ Stew Beef
- 1-1.5 cup Red Wine
- 1 Garlic Clove minced
- 1 small Bunch of Fresh Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 TBLS Butter I used Kerrygold
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 lb Yukon Gold Potatoes quartered
- 1 sprig Fresh Rosemary
- 2 TBLS Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1. In a dutch oven heat the butter over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, and onions. Season with a few pinches of salt and pepper, stir and allow this to cook until fragrant about 3-5 minutes. 2. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Add the seasoned beef to the pot and the garlic clove. Stir and allow this to cook for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally. 3. Now add the red wine, thyme sprigs, bay leaf and season again with salt and pepper. Let this come to a light boil. Cover the pot and turn the heat down to low and allow the beef stew to cook for 30-35 minutes. 4. While the beef stew cooks prepare the crispy potatoes. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl mix together the quartered potatoes, rosemary, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss the ingredients together. Place on a lined baking sheet. Cook the potatoes for 30-35minutes until crispy and tender. Serve with potatoes and enjoy!