No Pasta Turkey Kale Lasagna Bake
Healthy low carb No Pasta Turkey Kale Lasagna Bake. This tastes and looks like your are eating pasta, but your not. I love the recipe for easy weeknight dinners. It is also a great way to introduce more vegetables into your diet. Spiral vegetables make for a wonderful substitution for regular pasta dishes.
If you have never had spiral vegetables before. I totally recommend this recipe as your first introduction into the spiral veggie world. Literally it feels like you are eating pasta. If you are looking for a more low carbohydrate meal or overall want a low carb diet this recipe is one to make.
For all the picky eaters and non-veggie loving folk you really have to try this no pasta lasagna. Really you won’t have any idea that you are eating vegetables. This is a major reason why I love to make this recipe in my kids cooking classes. They walk away saying they love the meal and you will love to hear that as their parents. Really there are so many ways to prepare spiral vegetables, but this recipe of No Pasta Turkey Kale Lasagna Bake is one of the best. It will become one of your household favorites. By the way this recipe is an amazing freezer friendly recipe. So make a batch or 2 and have it ready portioned for those nights when you don’t have time to cook.
- 2 Pero Family Farms Butternut Squash Spirals steamed
- 1.5 cups Marinara Sauce
- 10 oz bag Kale or Spinach
- 1 TBLS Olive Oil
- 2/3 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 15 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powdered
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1.5 cup Shredded Mozzarella for Garnish or 6-8 Mozzarella Slices
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese for Garnish
- Fresh Basil For Garnish
- 1 lb Lean Ground Turkey
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Meanwhile on the stove top add ½ tsp of the olive oil into a sauté pan over medium heat. Cook the turkey with salt and pepper. I also like to add some fresh onion and garlic cloves for more flavor. Once cooked remove from pan and proceed with the next step.
3.Sauté the spinach until just wilted and a pinch of salt and pepper. Once the spinach is cooked place in a separate bowl and let it cool. When the spinach has cooled carefully drain the excess water. Season the wilted and drained spinach with a pinch or 2 of salt and pepper. Again using the same sauté pan add in the marinara sauce and bring it to a light boil to help reduce the excess water. Let it boil for 5 minutes.
3. To cook the butternut squash spiral place in the microwave according to the directions on the package. Cook for 2 ½-3 minutes until steamed and softened. Carefully remove the butternut squash spirals with tongs and place in a bowl to cool slightly.
4. In a bowl add in the ricotta, 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella, garlic, onion powder, and dried herbs. Using a spatula mix well.
5. To assemble use a 13.5 x11 baking dish. Layer the bottom with marinara sauce. Topping with the turkey and the spinach scattered about. Top with half of the butternut squash spirals. Add 2/3ds of the ricotta mixture spread over the spirals. Begin the next layer with spinach scattered over the ricotta cheese. Top the spinach with the remaining spirals and add ½ cup of the marinara sauce over the spirals. Top with the rest of the 1/3 of ricotta. Garnishing the top of the baked spiral “pasta” with the shredded or sliced mozzarella cheese.
6. Bake the spiral dish for 20 minutes. Once it has baked for 20 minutes carefully remove the baking dish and top with the grated Parmesan cheese and change the setting of the oven to broil. Pop the baking dish back into the oven for 5-7 minutes until the cheese becomes slightly golden on top.
7. Carefully remove the spiral “pasta” bake and serve.
*Optional to add ground beef, pork, or chicken and/or crumbled sausage to this dish.