Super Vegetable Sweet Potato Shell Mac n’Cheese
Super vegetable sweet potato shell mac n’ cheese is the ultimate healthy weeknight comfort meal. This recipe is one that your kids and family will love. You will feel good eating this super vegetable sweet potato shell mac n’ cheese because it is good for you. Yes, a healthy mac n’ cheese recipe! It’ super vegetable because not only are there a medley of vegetables throughout the shell pasta, but the mac n’ cheese sauce is made with a veggie. SHHHH, don’t tell the kids. They will love it and won’t even know its filled with vegetables.
Sweet potatoes are in season and instead of preparing it the classic baked or scalloped way instead I turned it into a sauce. Sweet potatoes are a great vegetable. To help thicken, add color, and loads of nutrients to a not to healthy mac n’ cheese sauce this recipe is super healthy.
If you are a parent of a picky eater this recipe will get them interested in their veggies. There is no escaping vegetables in this recipe. As a parent this will make you happy serving this for a weeknight dinner. The mac n’ cheese sauce even has vegetables! Your kids won’t know, trust me.
I know that weeknights can get crazy and busy. Plus sometimes you just want someone to tell you what to prepare. This recipe is a great family weeknight recipe to make. It is healthy, comforting, great for leftovers, and will make your kids happy thinking they are eating mac n’ cheese.
I know you must think I am crazy to add sweet potato to a mac n’ cheese sauce, but wait until you try the recipe. You will love it. It might even turn into your families favorite mac n’ cheese recipe.
- 1 box Shell Macaronis prepare as directed on box
- 2 cups Broccoli Florets - diced steamed
- 3/4 cup Green Beans steamed
- 1/2 cup Red Bell Pepper sliced
- 3/4 cup Peas I used frozen and thawed them out
Sweet Potato Mac n' Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup Baked Sweet Potato mashed
- 1 TBLS Butter
- 1 cup Milk
- 2.5 TBLS Flour
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese Shredded + more for garnish
- 2 TBLS Panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare the shell macaroni as directed on the box.
2. Steam the vegetables and place in a bowl once steamed. Add the shell pasta and mix together.
3. To prepare the sweet potato mac n' cheese sauce add the butter into a sauce pan. Let the butter melt then add the 2 TBLS of flour and whisk until a roux is created. Then add the milk, salt, and pepper. Bring this to a simmer and using a wooden spoon mix together. Once the sauce has thickened slightly and the roux has mixed in with the milk add in the shredded cheese and mashed sweet potato. Mix this together. Bring the mac n' cheese sauce to a simmer and let this cook for 1-2 minutes until it thickens. Add 2 -4 TBLS of the pasta cooking water to help thin it out.
4. Mix the sauce in with the shell pasta and steamed vegetables. Pour this into an oven proof baking dish and garnish with more shredded cheese and panko bread crumbs. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake this for 15 minutes. Carefully remove the baking dish from the oven and serve.