A 10 minute little cook recipe is hands down of the best! When you make a recipe in 10 minutes you know it is a good one. This Kale Apple Farro salad is rich with so many nutrients your body and health will thank you. I bet one of your first questions, is “but there is no protein”. It is okay, not every meal has to have protein, but you still have to have the right balance. Let’s break this salad down…
When building a recipe you always want to be aware of the ingredients. Ingredients contain nutrients, both macro and mirco nutrients. Macro meaning, carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. Macro nutrients meaning, vitamins and minerals. For this recipe we have 2 marcos and loads of micro nutrients, plus a very important one as well, fiber.
In this recipe fiber is in a sense replacing the protein. Protein even though chemically completely different in its make up helps to keep you fuller longer and is burned at a higher metabolic rate than carbohydrates and fats. Fiber works similar to protein. That is why we can replace the protein with loads of fiber.
Fiber helps to keep you fuller longer, which means it slows digestion down. By slowing digestion down, it takes your body longer to break down all the fiber and pass it through the body. This allows you to eat less because you maintain a more satisfied feeling than being hungry every 2 hours. The fiber from this recipe come from the farro, an ancient Italian grain, kale, and apple.
The carbohydrates for this dish make up 3/4 of the recipe, but since they all contain fiber there is a nice and controlled release of insulin instead of a spike with refined or simple carbohydrates. Fiber is critical when it comes to carbohydrates.
Another key component to this dish is the healthy fats, from the extra virgin olive oil and goat cheese. Both of these ingredients contain fat and the good kind. By adding in fat this dish becomes a complete and balanced meal. When a meal is balanced your body is able to better absorb the nutrients more efficiently, keep you feeling satisfied longer which reduces mindless eating and blood sugar dips, and maintains your health.
10 Minute Kale Apple Farro Salad
- 3/4 cup Parboiled Farro
- 3/4 cup Vegetable Broth low sodium
- 2-2.5 cups Curly Kale
- 2 Honey crisp apples diced
- 1/4 cup Pomegranate Seeds
- 2 oz Crumbled Goat Cheese
- 4 TBLS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon juiced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1. To prepare the parboiled farro, add farro into a sauce pan. Addthe broth and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, cover the sauce pan andreduce the heat to low. Let this cook for 10 minutes. 2. Meanwhile, prepare the salad. 3. Add the kale into a bowl, add the apple pieces and lemon juice.Add in the pomegranate seeds and crumbled goat cheese. 4. Once the farro has cooked, add the warm cooked farro into thesalad and gently toss together. This will help to make the goat cheese creamyand evenly spread throughout the salad. 5. Add the extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepperand serve.Enjoy!